NOVA SCOTIA PILOT CAR GUIDELINES
When required, a scout vehicle is to be a sufficient distance ahead of the move, and in radio contact, to identify potential problems and allow the load to be pulled over as needed. A scout vehicle is required for moves exceeding:
I. 7.9 metres in width on all divided highways
II. 6.7 metres in width on non-divided controlled access highways
III. 5.5 metres on all other highways.
107. The mover is to predetermine locations to pull over.
108. Stopping of special permitted vehicle is not allowed where a portion of the roadway would be obstructed.
109. Moves are to be made between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. only (unless governed by #110).
110. Moves exceeding 7.9 metres in width must be made from 3:00 a.m. To 9:00 a.m. Sundays only. Moves exceeding 5.5 metres in width can be made from 3:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. Sundays only (modification to general condition #14).
111. Pilot vehicles, displaying D-signs front and rear and an amber warning light on top of the pilot vehicle visible for a distance of 150 metres, are required to precede and follow moves on all but divided highways. On divided highways, a pilot vehicle is to follow the move.
112. Pilot vehicles, displaying D-signs front and rear and an amber warning light on top of the pilot vehicle visible for a distance of 150 metres, are required to precede and follow the move.
113. A complete compliment of signs, cones and flares is to be carried at all times during a move, to provide sufficient warning in the event of a breakdown.
114. Written confirmation from the escorting party (police/RMV) must be received prior to the release of the permit. Escort must be provided by an RCMP or Municipal police officer in a marked vehicle or by a Registry of Motor Vehicles Inspector in a marked vehicle. Any and all costs
associated with provision of the escort are to be incurred by the movers.
See following table
Specification for Over-dimensional Load Sign:
1. General Description: the sign consists of red vertical stripes on a white background, having a white letter D in the center of the sign. The layout is to conform to the drawing below.
2. Dimension: 300 mm. high and 2450 mm. long.
3. Material: The sign is made of ½” (or metric equivalent) GIS Douglas Fir plywood with a medium density overlay. If the medium density overlay is not used the plywood must be painted with two (2) good coats of exterior enamel. The paint or overlay is to ensure the plywood surface is properly sealed. The plywood is then covered, on the side which was sealed, with white reflective sheeting with a minimum Level II reflectance (as per Canadian General Standards Board Specification 62-GP-11M). The sign message is then silk-screened on the sheeting using #712 Stop Sign Red
(3M-Corp) paint or equivalent.